Monday — March 1st, 2010

This day was far busier than ever I first anticipated upon stumbling groggily out of bed this morning. As soon as the family left for school, I headed down to Scottsville to pick up a few things from the grocery store.

I came home and made some Chicken Noodle Soup for a couple in our church that’s sick, then finished cleaning the house. Around lunchtime, I headed to the church to pick up Mom and then went to the Doctor’s office.

Anybody who knows me even slightly will tell you that I abhor doctors with a most fervent passion. To me, it’s all a money game. You know, they prescribe this or that to make you need yet another prescription, blah blah etc. 😉

Okay, so I wouldn’t necessarily have a problem with taking my siblings or my own children to the doctor but for me, well I’d rather not. In their case, I’d rather err on the side of caution than on stupidity.

I walk up to the reception desk and the secretary reminding me very much of my friend Michael, hands me a clipboard with boatloads of paperwork to fill out. I wanted to do anything at that point that didn’t require filling out all that stuff.

“I think that’ll do for you.” The man winked at me and marked x’s beside the most crucial questions then handed me the form. “Don’t worry about the other stuff, it doesn’t really matter anyway.”

Taking the clipboard with a smile, I suddenly decided that this secretary man was pretty awesome as far as doctor’s offices went. I found myself silently hoping the rest of the visit would go just as smooth.

I had barely finished filling out the forms when the nurse called me back. She took my weight which turned out to be 00. She had forgotten to turn it on, being girls we had a good laugh over that. A guy would probably say, “Hey lady, you forgot to turn the weight thingy on.” 😉

And then she measured my height. “5’3, does that sound right?”

“Uh,” I was five two, not five three. “Better double check.”

So she did and I gained all of a half inch. Since when did I grow? Hmm, that’s a new one on me but I don’t care. I’ve embraced my height — or lack thereof — a long time ago. 😉

She took my blood pressure, and all that other un-fun stuff. And I waited for the doctor for what seemed like an eternity, the warmth of the office making it feel far longer than it truly was. He came in and my mouth almost dropped on the floor as he slid across the room in his wheely chair. He was young, blue eyed and had hair resembling that of an actor along with a goatee. This guy clearly wasn’t a doctor.

He shook my hand and introduced himself. I’m sure I was nothing but a bunch of funny looks as he pulled up his little laptop and a folder containing my medical files. I was used to old people who rattled on about medicine having changed so rapidly since they first entered the medical field. Not young doctors with laptops and goatees. :O

I’ll admit, I was highly skeptical in his ability as a doctor. He seriously didn’t look like a doctor, though when he opened his mouth my suspicions quickly vanished. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, that made me feel somewhat better.

Does anyone else feel like a moron when they go to the doctor and he asks, “So, what’s going on?” I hate that question most out of anything they ever ask me. I go to the doctor for them to tell me what the problem is, but I’ve got to remember all my symptoms and what I did when before they can!

There was some complications with my records from the doctor in North Carolina so we had to wait to have the rest of them faxed in before the doctor could do any sort of testing. I had no problem waiting a few days to be pricked and prodded with a bunch of needles and whatnot. So the files not getting there in time totally made my day! 😉

Next we went to the chiropractor, and I got some X-rays done. Dr. Cox discovered I have a major curve in the middle of my back. We have no idea how it got that way but he’s hoping to have it all straightened out in no time. 🙂

We hadn’t had lunch yet and it was getting late so we drove through Taco Bell. I pulled up to the window, and Mom suddenly remembered something she forgot to order. So I asked the guy if we could add it on, and he waved me on and handed it through the window.

Free food? I don’t care why he gave it to me, I just said thanks and went on my merry way. I had told Mom he was looking at me funny — like in a way that makes you feel creeped out-ish, you know? So I was more than happy to get the food and go. Of course, we did have a good laugh about it later because looking back it was all kind of funny.

I will say, I won’t be frequenting that particular Taco Bell if ever I have a craving for spicy food in the future, though. I’ll stick to ordering what I want, paying for what I got and leaving without things getting all weird-ish, thanks. 😉

We drove to Waynesboro, and picked up a few things from Wal-mart. Mom found some quilting stuff that I liked so I’ll be starting on that pretty soon. Just as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed we needed some gas so I stopped at the gas station nearby. It was freezing cold across the mountain and I thought my hand would freeze to the pump handle! But I filled the car up in hopes of not having to repeat the whole freezing to death process anytime soon.

Last stop was Michael’s and we found a ton of cute stuff! For any guys reading this, cute in this case would mean little vintage crackle-finish birds, and just about anything Vintage-y and Spring-ish that was 50% off. 🙂

It was an extremely busy day full of running errands, cooking and cleaning but it was great when you sum it all up. My success story of the day should really be dedicated to my Daddy though.

It took a lot for him to give me the okay to drive to the store all by myself. Yes, I’m nineteen, I’m an adult with a driver’s license and a mind of my own most days but I’m still his baby girl. I always will be, no matter how old I am.

It may sound really stupid to you that my Dad is so protective, but I appreciate it. I was so proud of him for letting me do that this morning. He didn’t ask me to, but I called him when I got home just to let him know everything went great and I was okey dokey.

My dad is the best, and I love him to death! 🙂

“Giving thanks always for all things unto God …” ~ Ephesians 5:20